Martin & Marie Edwards
Personal Web Pages

Click to go back to previous page
Click to go back to the home page
No Entry
Previous Next
Home page Genealogy Index Place Index Military Index Transport Index People Index Information Index


Various information about people and buildings have been unearthed. Most are unrelated to the research but while they exist it was thought worthwhile publishing them..

Blackstone, Blackston, Blackiston, Blakeston, Blakiston, Blaxton
Blackstone, Blackston, Blackiston, Blakeston, Blakiston, Blaxton

From 'A Dictionary of British Surnames' by P.H. Reaney

Blackstan is the first entry in 1086 in the doomsday book for Essex. William Blacston', Blakeston', Blackstan 1235-42 entered in the Fees (Liber Feodorum, 3 vols, London, 1920-31) for Buckinghamshire. Old English Laecstan meaning 'black stone'.
Philip Atteblakeston' 1275 entered in the Subsidary Rolls for Worcestershire (Worcs History Society, 4 vols, 1893-1900); William de Blakstan 1316 Feet of Fines for Kent (Archaeologia Cantiana 11-15, 18, 20, 1877-93; Kent Records Society 15, 1956). Means 'dweller by the black stone', as at Blackstone Edge (Lancashire) or Blaxton (West Riding of Yorkshire).
  CRANWORTH, Bertram

From Cox's County Who's Who Series for Norfolk 1912.

"CRANWORTH, 2nd Baron (cr. 1899), Bertram Francis Gurdon BA; D.L for Norfolk; Lieut.-Gen Reserve of Officers; A.D.C. to Colonel Commanding Norfolk Vol. Infantry Brigade. Address-Grundisburgh Hall, Boxford, Suffolk. Born, 13th June, 1877: eldest son of Robert Thornhagh Gurdon (who was created Baron Cranworth of Letton and Cranworth, Co. Norfolk, 1899), ........"

  MARRIOTT, William

From Cox's County Who's Who Series for Norfolk 1912.

M.Inst.C.E., M.Inst.M.E., Member Sanitary Institute; Civil Engineer; Resident Engineer and Loco. Supt. Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway; Member of Sewers Commission, Eastern Hundreds of Norfolk. Address-The Grange, Brinton, Briningham, S.O. Born at Basle, Switzerland; son of Dr. W. Marriott and Lydia Margaretha Ecklin; educ. at Neuwied and Lausanne, and Exeter; married 1885, Gertrude, 5th d. of the late R. J. Rouse, R.N.; family, 4 sons and 2 d.; formerly Engineer to Eastern and Midlands Railway; constructed many miles of what is now the M. and G.N. Railway, including Breydon Viaduct and a large amount of private works; Miller and Telford prizeman, Inst. C.E.

Hinchingbrooke House, Huntingdon, Huntingdonshire

Hinchingbrooke House (which derived its name from a brook rising at Thurning in Northamptonshire) was the baronial residence of the noble family of Sandwich, and is partly in the parish of St. Mary, Huntingdon, and partly, an extra parochial liberty in the hundred of Hurstingstone. It is situated a little distance to the west of the town, on the north-west side of a gentle slope; and commands a fine view of the surrounding county. On the south of the pleasure ground is a high terrace which overlooks the Brampton to Huntingdon road. Hinchingbrooke House was chiefly erected by Sir Oliver Cromwell. It is built on the site of the old Hinchingbrooke Nunnery and Sir Henry Cromwell is reputed to have used the materials from the priory at Barnwell in the original building. Queen Elizabeth I visited the house in 1564. James I visited Sir Oliver Cromwell here in 1603 and again in 1605, 1616 and 1617, although other visits may not be recorded. King James knighted Sir Thomas Haywood here in 1616 and Sir Richard Ingoldsby in 1617. King James rewarded Sir Oliver's loyalty and hospitality by creating him a Knight of the Bath on 24 th July 1603. Sir Oliver Cromwell was forced to sell Hinchingbrooke House and its lands through necessity on 20th June 1627 and it was bought by Sir Sydney Montague of Barnwell. On 22 January 1830 Hinchingbrooke House caught fire and many treasures were destroyed.

R.B. Sanders and Company, Kempston, Bedford

In 1907 R.B. Sanders and Company opened their leather works in College Street, Kempston, having moved from Higham Ferrers, Northamptonshire. The wooden premises burnt down in 1910, after which they were rebuilt on a much larger scale. The original St. Stephen's Church, Spring Road (built in 1888) was replaced in 1940 by the Church of the Transfiguration and this was subsequently used by Sanders Leather factory. The factory is still there.

Hunstanton Hall / Le STRANGE Family

Description from Kelly's Directory - Norfolk - 1900

"...Hunstanton Hall, a fine mansion, standing in abeautifully wooded park, is the seat of Hamon le Strange esq. D.L., J.P.; in 1853 it was much injured by a fire, when the ancient banqueting hall and eighteen other rooms were destroyed. Hamon le Strange esq. is lord of the manore and principal landowner..."

That is the total description for the hall. As for le Strange there were both Roland le Strange and Hamon le Strange living in the hall in 1900. Other details pertaining to le Strange are listed below:

Robert Loombe Carpenter ran the "le Strange Arms" Hotel in 1900. There was also a street called "le Strange" Terrace in the Westgate area of town.

Barrett Ringstead is/was a small enclave 2 miles south of Hunstanton with one farm which was property of Hamon le Strange esq. but occupied by Mr. William Dodman, a farmer, who resided at Hunstanton.

New Hunstanton. The foundation stone to the town hall was laid by Mrs. le Strange February 24th, 1896. The General Post Office was opened by Mr. le Strange in April, 1899.

Hamon le Strange was the Vice-Chairman of the New Hunstanton Urban Distrit Council. He was due to retire in April, 1901. William Horton Reece was the land agent to Hamon le Strange at this time. The chairman of the Hunstanton Advancement Committee was Roland le Strange.

Morningthorpe Manor

According to Kelly's Directory for Norfolk, 1900

Morningthorpe Manor, the property of Commander Thos. Holmes R,N,, J.P. of Fritton End, lord of the manor of Morningthorpe, is a mansion of red brick with stepped gables, in the Elizabethan style, pleasantly situated near the church, and is now the residence of James E. Bayne esq. J.P.

Click to go back to previous page
Click to go back to the home page
No Entry